So Many Dresses, So Little Time

I used to be addicted to shoes--who am I kidding, I still am. Then I started changing my look and before I knew it, the majority of my wardrobe was dresses. I have tried to adopt a 'love each equally' mentality when it comes to dresses (that has failed miserably). These seemingly sweet creations have become my daily go to, not matter what time of year it may be. The thing that I have learned about dresses is that quality matters, more so than any other type of clothing. An unlined dress will blow in the wind, leaving you more exposed to world than Marilyn Monroe in  "The Seven Year Itch".

As all things in life I have my favorites and cannot wait to jazz them up to be completely my taste. From my Milly NY silk slip style dress that I cannot wait to alter slightly--to the J.Crew tumbleweed tea-length that needs some major dressing down, I 'm going to show you how I am going to be looking for the next few months and give you my major tips for looking chic on a budget.

Cotton Sundresses: These are the basic staples of the summer whether they be printed, solid, with or without straps. The classic ease of the cotton sundress is perfect for a hot summer day when you have just a few minutes to get dressed quickly and run off to class or the mall. They are the most versatile of all dresses. With the addition of a grey tee-shirt, a purple strapless dress becomes a casual masterpiece. I usually pick up these kind of dresses at the mall--anywhere from American Eagle Outfitters, GAP or Banana Republic (all of which carry the styles for under $50).

I used to joke that my grey tank dress from American Eagle Outfitters was my cleaning dress, for whenever I would wear it I would end up cleaning something or other. It allowed me to be completely comfortable and move freely without the bind that jeans create. During the summer it allows a breeze to pass through and appears effortless.

I have even found more lady-like cotton sundresses. This one from the Jason Wu for Target line has a lovely shape but the light cotton fabric allows it to breathe. J'adore.

Romany Flower Dress/
 Anthropologie
Structured Day Dresses: In my opinion there is nothing sexier than a structured day dress. I recently acquired several that remind me of frocks Betty Draper of "Mad Men" would wear. I found this Tabitha dress at a consignment store in Philadelphia the last time I passed through the city of brotherly love. It's one of the more conservative dresses in my possession but fits with such perfection that I feel---perfect when I wear it. The print is much more bold than I normally wear but with my white trench coat carefully tied at my waist it seems to balance out and blend. Shocking red peep-toe wedges finish out this look with a click and a clack.

For a more formal look I turn to Boden, the UK brand that has recently opened up a warehouse store about five minutes from my house, in Pittston, PA. I have expressed my love of British fashion once or twice before, but the limited edition collection from Boden trumps all I have previously said. I received this purple eyelet number for my 20th birthday and cannot wait to wear it to my editorial position interview in a few shorts weeks. I ran out the other day and picked up sky high nude pumps to wear with the dress. Like the Tabitha dress, this dress has a high neckline and no sleeves. As you can see though, there is one stark contrast. The skirt on the Boden dress is a true pencil where the bottom of my Plenty dress is strictly a-line. My favorite thing about a pencil dress is it's ability to be belted with ease, allowing for exaggeration of your waistline.
Milly NY

The Sexy Slip: One of my favorite items in my wardrobe is a silk Milly NY sundress, printed with big flowers and dots. With it's deep v in the front and low back-line, it is easily the sexiest dress I own. The dress shown right is the 2012 equivalent of my favorite slip dress. While I cannot wait to wear this little number over the summer, it is not meant for everyone and can easily become a scandal. Like most slip-shaped dresses, double sided dress tape is a must. You can pick up a package of Hollywood tape at Bed, Bath and Beyond or even Old Navy--they even sell an off-brand at Target. This will insure that the girls stay under the cloth and you are remembered for how great you looked in your slip dress, not that you flashed a quad of college students.

Though most dresses can be formal or casual, some simply need to be dressed down so you don't look ridiculous. If you have a dress that seems a bit too formal, simply add a blazer or cardigan and a pair of flip-flops and you will no longer look silly wearing it on the beach or out to a casual lunch with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment