Closet Audit....Sounds Painful

With summer is fast approaching, I have made a decision that many may disagree with. With many other expenses looming in my near future I have decided that my wardrobe will suffice for this upcoming season and that I will not be spending on summer clothes.

Instead I have already started the weeding process to determine what purchases need to be made for my fall playbook. While many will feel that this is odd for a slave of fashion like myself this move will in fact prove to be much better in the long haul. Upon joining a new website (post to come soon on this little gem) I have started my shopping list for the fall season. In NEPA, jeans and boots are appropriate for most of the year. With harsh winters and cold springs and falls, a wardrobe in excess of shorts and summery clothing is moderately ridiculous. So in order to determine what I need for the fall I first did a closet audit.

An idea stolen from my favorite author Sophie Kinsella, I decided to do an audit of my wardrobe, making a comprehensive list of each and every item in my closet. This list contains various information relating to the piece of clothing listed, including the item size, color, brand, cut, sleeve-length, etc. In "Mini-Shopaholic" (a title too appropriate), Becky does a clothing audit and comes up with a number of wears per item before she can go and buy new clothing.

While this is a bit drastic for anyone, the idea of an audit to determine what you have is a perfectly practical idea for anyone willing to seriously invest in their wardrobe.

My audit started in my closet and slowly worked its way around my room to various dressers and drawers. In an Excel document on my trusty MacBook I tediously typed in all the information for each item I pulled out of my wardrobe, finding items of clothing I had long forgotten about and others that made me ask myself what on Earth I was thinking.

Upon completion, my audit list consisted of a number of items which I will not say, all ladies know never to reveal their real number. This list gave me a great idea of what I need more of, not shockingly enough, boots and cashmere made my autumn shopping list. I then decided to take out the pieces that I have not worn in the past two years...filling a large Neiman Marcus shopping bag to send to my young cousin and a small bag to give to some college friends when I see them next.

Being in a cleaning mood, I then decided to help my good friend Lauren go through her vast clothing collection. After filling three black Hefty garbage bags to the brim with clothes to donate to the local Salvation Army, Lauren commented on how amazing it is to be able to see what you actually have and be able to get to it when you want to wear it. Something that the 19 year old has never been able to do.

While this is a process which many may not have the time or patience for, it pays off in the end. Allowing me to be store celibate for the summer and then have a long awaited shop-gasm in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment