Pretty in Prep

Everyone grows up. It was not too long ago when I would only wear clothing that could be described as "preppy". Styles evolve as we age, but for the upcoming autumn 2011 season while the world around me is turning to 70s chic I am going back to my roots and I'm not talking about hair color.

This style throwback itch started back in May when I stumbled upon a website for designer Kiel James Patrick.

(Screen Shot of KPJ Site Homepage, Trademark of Kiel James Patrick)

Kiel James Patrick is the maker of some of the most unique bracelets that I have ever seen. Each an ode to classic prep style, some named after famous characters in literature others famous socialites or locations. The bracelets are unique from each other. While some, like the one I adore, are layers of the finest fabrics ended with a button others have leather accents or backing. All of Patrick's products have the same underlying tone, quality American goods.

KJP and his brand are as authentic prep as you can get. The brand began when Patrick was a student in a New England prep school when he became obsessed by simplicity and craftsmanship of old clothing. As Patrick grew so did his brand and now KJP bracelets, belts and other merchandise can be found and purchased in 28 states and five countries (including the US where all his products are made). Most recently he has launched a line of Repp ties with a nautical twist that are seriously worth checking out.

In association with Sarah Vickers, Patrick has a lovely line of headbands and earrings for any lady who does not mean to be outdone by her accessories. The "Drift Knots" are the perfect way to add a touch of prep to any outfit without going all out prep (the madras plaid skirt and polo shirt can stay home).  What I love more than those earrings are the "Vicker Leed Headbands". Some are patterned, some are nautical repp and some are even rope! For a girl who wears headbands to work all the time, this is the perfect way to stay unique without breaking dress code.

Recently I purchased my first KJP bracelet. In an ode to classic style and society I chose the "Caroline Lee Bouvier" bracelet with a dark pink button. (Please forgive my pictures, my camera does not like me very much today.) 


Adorned with a wooden tag stating that it was a "Skillfully Crafted Products Made In The Ocean State" I could not have been more excited to pull my newest accessory out of the box, "ABC News" would be proud of my "Made in America" mind. Receiving the bracelet was a bit of an experience. Upon opening the brown postal box I first saw my receipt of purchase with a hand written "Thank You!" on the bottom. Then I saw a card explaining the story of Kiel James Patrick and his classic prep bracelets and finally I saw my navy blue box. Tied shut with a small rope tied in a nautical knot I slid the rope off and opened my box. My bracelet sat inside surrounded by maps of coast line and waterways. 



Immediately I tried it on. It was a perfect fit! I plan to rock mine with a classic white blouse, a cable-knit sweater, some effortless skinny denim and maybe even a pair of boat shoes...I'm feeling rather in the style now. I absolutely love my new bracelet and cannot wait to wear it with my perfectly preppy outfit.

The bracelet is a thing of beauty and makes your wrist stand out like never before.  The cotton backing is soft against your wrist making for a comfortable wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment