Trapped in Academia: Geek Chic

As of recent I have been pulled in many different directions. At one moment I am all about fashion, reading and writing a second later I am running through the halls of academia trying not to be late for a morning philosophical ethics class or rushing down the highway to one of various appointments. This cross-section of lifestyles has created a new twist in my ever put together look and is forcing me to be more geek chic than ever before.

I have realized that putting a bit of "geek" into any look is better than ever before. Perception is everything. So if you portray to the world that you are an academic not only will you trick yourself into believing this but also the rest of the human population. I have embraces this fake-it-till-you-make-it attitude and my new twist on a classically preppy wardrobe has taken me to new heights with a series of new style rules that are simply too cool for school.
Rule #1: Clean, accessibility. 
Marina Garcia-Vasquez
At all times you need to look pulled together, yet on the verge of something (mental break or epiphany, your choice). A quick pulled-up bun on the top of your head is perfectly practical for the girl-on-the-go. With a simple ribbon tied around it to match your ensemble you are basically good to go. Black, navy, grey and brown are always wonderful fall backs when it comes to dressing in the mornings. While I constantly wear these four basic neutrals in everyday life they are especially nifty to wear when faking it. Basic black is basic black, who will ever know where you bought it or how much you paid. This bare look says that you are serious, mildly approachable and not putting too much thought into your outfit, while still looking fab. A killer combo for a college student.

Rule #2: Dark is great, vintage is better
Blending into a scene is easy, but truly fitting in is another story entirely. This being said the easiest way to fit in is to stand out, especially in a place like a university. Vintage, and vintage looking pieces, are the easiest way to do this. For legitimate vintage I take to raiding the closets of those who have lived in decades past. Grabbing a vintage leather bag from my mother (mid-80s), barely vintage sweaters from my aunt (late 90s-early 00s) and jewelry from my Noni (40s-80s) can create a super unique look with very little funds, perfect for a retro day. If your family does not have anything worth passing on, worry not! Vintage-looking prints are just as effective for standing out in the college crowd. A Jack Wills dress I recently was given (right) features a tiny daisy print in mustard yellow and ketchup red, resembling something from a time past. Paired with a vintage belt pulled from my mother's closet ages ago and topped with a cashmere cardigan and the look is totally street chic. You can also simply take cues from times past and attempt to incorporate the feeling of retro into any look, perhaps with a change in hairstyle or makeup.

Rule #3: Dress like a man
Verena Hafner-Iskratsch
I have stolen this one from style icon Daphne Guinness. You see, Guinness does not care what people think of how she dresses and she often dresses is a style of cross-dressing, of sorts. By wearing items typically reserved for men, a woman can make a pull for power without immediate underestimation, unless you know how to and want to use that to your advantage. Menswear is incredibly confortable. Many of the pieces you will find will be cut slightly more boxy, allowing you to look stylish yet feel like you are wearing pajamas. Other pieces will be tailored to perfection for the female form,  but the fabrics will be so wonderful that you will not want to wear anything else. Take inspiration from classic mens suits and make it work for a woman. By adding a black blazer or a
structured, crisp blouse to any ensemble you do just that.

Rule #4: Dare to be different
While wandering through academia let your quirks shine. While weaknesses are never something to showcase, quirks are what make you unique so why not show them to everyone and anyone in sight? I have mentioned my love of time-pieces many times previously and it is oh too true. I am obsessed with wearing broken watches. There is no better place to wear this quirky style than at a university, where 86% of the people you will encounter will also be wearing watches. Differences are what allow you to stand out from the average girl. Embrace them.

Rule #5: Everything is about the eyewear
When I had to get glasses in September of 2011 I was, at first, upset that I would now have to walk around with a piece of plastic on my face everyday and see the world through a piece of glass. This emotion completely faded the moment I began looking at frames and finally realized that glasses can be just as chic as any other accessory. Each pair of frames has their own mood. I personally love navy blue, so when I found navy William Rast frames sitting on the shelf I knew what would be sitting on the bridge of my nose in a few short hours.

Eyewear goes far beyond regular old readers and with the spring and summer months approaching quickly it is necessary to find the perfect pair of sunnies to protect your eyes from harsh UVAs and also give you a bit of privacy during those summery months. I am a fan of unembellished plastic such as a black or tortoise-shell print or the classic aviator, for a more androgynous look. I found the most perfect black Prada sunnies at Loehmann's on Sixth Avenue in New York a while back and am still kicking myself for not taking them home with me. Something tells me that when I go back toward the end of March for my birthday I will get lucky and find myself the perfect shades.

Academia can be a tricky place to maneuver, whether you are at Yale or USC, but if you keep calm and stay chic you will certainly carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment