Fashion Fixation: Nautical Nonsense

In this new site page I will be publishing my style forecast for the upcoming style season or highlighting any trends I feel are going to soon be huge.

The Fashion Forecast:

For the spring season I always tend to drift towards a nautical chic vibe with a twist. 70s was so prominent fall '11 and I feel like it is going have a bit of sticking power through the late winter early spring season. By combining stripes and the kelly green, navy blue, black color combination anyone can easily pull off this season-stand-by.

Piperlime
My Picks:

This Rebecca Minkoff Striped Diamond Tote is perfect for the girl on the go. It is large enough to fit your iPad, cell, textbooks and anything else you may carry with you on a daily basis. The tan leather trim is light and springy yet polished and refined and the black and white stripes make this an easy transitional piece from winter to spring.

The tote has a navy lining, continuous with the nautical feel. It runs just below $200 on Piperlime.com.

Sperry + Milly
Fashionista.com

Nothing says nautical quite like Sperry and with their spring '12 collaboration with one of my fashion favorites, Milly NY, boat shoes are back and better than ever. The line will debut in February '12 and will be sold at retailers such as Nordstrom, Saks Fith Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdale's, Milly NY flagship on Madison Avenue in NYC, sperrytopsider.com and MillyNY.com.  This line will sell between $90-$225 according to fashionista.com.
Sperry + Milly
Fashionista.com





The line features more than just the typical Sperry boat shoe. The collaboration also created nautical pumps (seen left) and wedges in classic colors as well as Milly NY prints. My favorite thing about these pumps is the dangling "M" hanging from the front bow, so Milly.

J.Crew 
The J.Crew fisherman's sweater featured in cerise on the right is another great transitional piece from the dreary winter season to spring. With it's classic cotton cable knit and crew neck it can easily be thrown on with wide leg denim and you are ready to go and on point with the current trends. At $88.00 how could you go wrong?

Piperlime
Another piece I am loving for the spring is this pin dot Elizabeth and James suiting style maude jacket. Sold at piperlime.com for $445 this is the priciest of my nautical picks but is so worth the price. This jacket is the perfect example of understated naturalism. With its double breasted buttons and white on navy polka dots it is simply perfection. It combines a 70s vibe with its boxy silhouette with the modern touch of a sheen to the fabric.

I believe that every outfit can use a jacket and this piece can be worn over almost anything.

Rag & Bone
The final thing I crave for spring is colored denim. While I am loving the light wash bell bottom blue denim for everyday use I am crazy about skinnies and these kelly green Rag & Bone skinny jeans are perfect for the spring season. Kelly green is my obsession right now, that helps the case for buying these pants. I love them. While it is a bit crazy to pair these pants with the Elizabeth and James jacket and Sperry + Milly NY pumps I would so do it.

*Side note: When you get your hands on the Sperry + Millys, try nautical knots in place of feminine bows. Back in the day (80s) that's how the docksiders were worn. Tres chic.


No comments:

Post a Comment