FYI: Philadelphia

Photo by: B. Krist for GPTMC
I have a boyfriend and he lives in...somewhere outside of Philadelphia. Over the past month that we have been together I have traveled down the 475 to Philly four times, King of Prussia twice and spent more time in the car than I have shopping.

I had never been to the city of brotherly love until our first date, a day filled with getting lost, shopping South Street, food, family and chocolate. A wonderful day if I do say so myself. From my explorations of Philadelphia I have noticed several things that differ fashion-wise from other cities. Unlike Washington D.C. and my love, New York City, Philly is very relaxed. On November 6th I dressed like I would dress if I were spending the day in NYC. Walking down the street in the Big Apple wearing dark indigo wash jeggings, black flats and a black blouse any girl would blend right into the city street scene but in Philly you stick out. The people, mostly students, dress as though they are on a college campus. The general population is more boho and more obvious tourist. Oh Philadelphia how you perplex me.

Photo by: Philadelphia.world-guides
Before arriving in Philly all I had heard was how I must shop South Street. Well, I walked from one end to the other and back and was mildly disgusted by the tourist trap that is South Street. I found nothing special or different than anything I could find anywhere in Wilkes-Barre. With the exception of small boutique called Gilly Jeans that specialized in all things western and contained some great looking cowboy boots. My issue with Gilly Jeans is that their prices are just as outrageous as any leather boot shop and completely unattainable for the average college student.

Photo by: Teeshirt and pearls
It was not until we walked back onto Broad Street and started toward city hall that we stumbled on Philadelphia's true shopping gem, Walnut Street. These two streets immediately began to fix my Philly day, bringing me to Philly Chocolate. A lounge with comfy couches and a wall-to-wall chocolate assortment. Bliss. After the chocolate bar we walking in the opposite direction, stumbling upon BCBGMAXAZRIA, Zara, Jack Wills and H&M (to name a few). I popped into my most favorite random store to shop, Paper Source, to see if they had the planner I covet. They did not but all the same my mood was lifted and then boyfriend and I strolled across the street to H&M where I crossed several items off of my shopping list.

It was a knit-day for me, as I walked off with two sweater dresses, an oversized cardigan and three pairs of sweater-tights in my shopping bag! I even got to go to a delish Italian restaurant with a group of strangers (Pete's family, they are super sweet) and let me tell you that there is nothing that this girl likes more than chocolate, shopping and good Italian food, in that order, of course.

Photo by Pete Falvey
Trip number two was more business but still a bunch of pleasure as we checked out the Occupy movement, something that I recommend any and all readers go and do as well. While the lack of style at the camps is enough to culture shock, it is enriching, eye-opening and worth 15 to 20 minutes of your time. We then shopped Chestnut Street, which runs parallel to Walnut. Chestnut is more affordable than Walnut with thrift stores like Buffalo Exchange stuffed to the brim with last season DVF and Marc Jacobs for under $20. We also lunched at Max Brenner's, a restaurant where chocolate is worked into everything in some form. It was delish!

My latest trip to the Greater Philadelphia area was filled with Christmas shopping, concerts and some major style. Outside of being embarrassed beyond belief in Hermes (rule one:don't go into store you can't afford anything in) it was moderately successful on the fashion-front. I had not been to King of Prussia since the 8th grade and had been planning an expedition there for quite some time, another story for another post. The mall as a whole had changed a bit since I was there last, but all for the better. Now having an actual appreciation for clothes, the mall is much more fun and my kind of workout. Running around the hundreds of thousands of square feet with shopping bags filled to the brim in each hand made me feel less guilty about spending all of my cash in a short hour and a half time-frame, it was all for the benefit of general health!

Shockingly enough, I did not buy anything for myself at KOP, though I cannot say for certainty that things were not bought for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment