Target Hits Bullseye with FW'13

Before you read this post, please take a moment to view the video below. 


You may have seen a snippet of it in a commercial in November, you may be very confused. If you are wondering why glommed-up Target sales associates in coordinating red and white ensembles are dancing around a giant bullseye then all is right with the world. You have felt what Target wanted you to feel. Because of all the retailers in modern day existence, Target is killing it.

Shortly after taking my third row seat. 
Early in August I received an email from Target. It was an invitation to their fashion show and other than a location it gave few hints of what the event would entail. Target's parties have become things of legends. Anyone who would say they don't want to attend a Target colab launch event is a brazen liar. They are swagalicious affairs where bloggers mingle with editors and celebrities. I wanted more than anything to attend one. This invite was no such event though. It was a literal taping of the Merona and Mossimo lines presented as a fashion show for the sake of press and a commercial (the reason behind the release attendees had to sign upon entering).

Like any good blogger, I RSVPd yes and accepted the fact that I would make a mad dash from class to my car, pick up Pete, drive two hours to Morristown where I would catch a train into Penn Station and then power walk to the super pier. En route my amazing Zara flatforms legitimately cut my foot to the point of bleeding. Luckily I had to walk past my favorite consignment store, Second Time Around: Chelsea, and bartered my way to a brand new pair of strappy sandals (thanks, guys!). After grabbing a bite with my boy I took my place in line outside of Pier 57. It was a beautiful early September evening and I swear there is nothing better then New York near the water with sunshine and a light breeze. 

Mid-way through the show, second womenswear section.
After a bit of a wait I walked in, checked into the event at a Target register and then walked down the long, dark walkway to a bright white room – eventually leading to the room shown above. I sat with Thomas Farley and several of his peers from The New York Post and the show began. 

The collection was well put together and modern for Target. A bit more refined and more dressy. The production quality was unrivaled. Compared to shows at the tents it was a spectacle unrivaled.  Not once while watching the show did you forget the event was Target. This wasn't a bad thing though, it had class and it shouted money. There was something mildly luxurious about the whole thing. Then again, the only other finale I've seen that looked like this way was Marc Jacobs FW'13 last spring.  

Creepy Target shopper on a conveyer-belt.
Post-show the retailer hosted an after-party complete with a photobooth, free make-up, drinks and tiny hors d'oeuvres on a conveyer-belt. There was also this man walking on a conveyer-belt with a cart that freaked me out more than a little bit. 

After the event I began to think and then was disturbed by the realization that Target, a big box retailer where my mother goes to buy shampoo, tissues and toilet paper is slaying the fashion industry. It says something about a brand when you can fill Pier 57 with industry insiders and editors to show clothing that maxes out at $75. Target is not a designer brand. They make clothing for the masses. Even their invitation touted that fashion is for everyone. 

Their show proved just that. 

To see all the looks from the Target FW'13 collection check out the finale video at the bottom of this post.



1 comment:

  1. Really like this collection, too bad there are no cowboy boots on the agenda!

    ReplyDelete