Escape to the Palm Canyons

Duckworth in Painted Desert by Warby Parker
Shopping for new eyewear, whether it be sunglasses or prescription glasses, is a pain in the ass. Lets be frank for a second – the whole experience can be long, drawn out and often far to dilated. The last time I went to the eye doctor my prescription was upgraded to a progressive bi-focal which meant I needed new frames and a new attitude regarding my eyewear. I bit the bullet and ordered from my doctor's office and by the end of the experience I spent well over $500 on the frames, lenses and gas going back and forth to the appointment and then back again to pick them up.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new frames. But like all things, I like to be able to change up my look at a moment's notice and I don't have the dough to drop $500 every time I want new eyewear. If only there were a website that sold trendy, cute glasses for a flat and affordable rate. A place were I could try many pairs from my house, send them back and buy what I want. If only someone could create such a place of wonderment.

Wheeler in Revolver Black by Warby Parker
...oh wait, hello Warby Parker.

Warby Parker was conceived as an alternative to the overpriced and bland eyewear with the belief that prescription eyewear should not cost a fortune and that everyone has the right to see.

Warby Parker saw that the eyewear industry was controlled by a few large companies that have kept prices artificially high, reaping huge profits from consumers who had no other options. They circumvented traditional channels and engaged customers directly through a website providing higher-quality, better-looking prescription eyewear at a fraction of the price.

Like Toms Shoes, Warby Parker has a philanthropic vision. The creators acknowledge that almost one billion people worldwide lack access to glasses. This means that 15% of the global population cannot effectively learn or work - a problem that they are determined to address. They've partnered with non-profits like VisionSpring to ensure that for every pair of glasses sold, a pair is distributed to someone in need.

Warby has some of the best styled eyewear currently on the market and for the spring they have released a limited edition collection called Palm Canyon. Palm Canyon took some of the most popular styles on their site – Winston, Duckworth, Preston, and Wheeler—and created new materials and looks for them in a palette of mesquite, acacia, ironwood, and sand. Each frame features a hand-mixed acetate inset at the end piece. Designing and constructing these patterns required a technique that took over a year to perfect—and no two pairs are alike.

Wheeler in Revolver Black and Windswept by Warby Parker
I perused the collection with anticipation and excitement and must say that I adored the wood and horn-like textures of the new frames. Duckworth and Wheeler, both shown earlier in the post, are two of my all time favorite styles from Warby Parker and I like them equally as sunglasses and regular glasses.

I favor the sunglasses a touch more, which come with polarized lenses, standard. A nice touch from the Warby team.

Warby Parker released another limited edition collection earlier in the year, a collaboration with Leith Clark – founder of Lula Magazine. Saying "i died" upon viewing the line would be the understatement of the month. Ladylike shapes mixed with girly prints and a pinch of quirk make these perfect for the modern girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment