Love, Diane

Seven years ago in a bag of hand-me-downs, a shocking pink piece of silk hung from the top of the bag. Laying between black 7 For All Mankind 'Colette' bootcut jeans and a brown Three Dots modal tee was a silk blouse unlike anything I had ever seen. The shocking pink was juxtaposed with canary yellow and tones of tangerine--forming what looked like a watercolor hibiscus. This wrap blouse with the flutter sleeve would be my introduction to the iconic style setter Diane von Furstenberg. This piece would be the first of three to find their way to my humble abode (the other two would be a black wool turtleneck and a black cashmere wrap, my absolute favorite sweater--ever).

Like many of my fashion epiphanies my real adoration for DVF happened in Kingston, PA when I walked into Shooze and walked right into a rack of wrap dresses, literally---because I am a total spaz. This adoration for the dresses I had become entangled was a combination of loving the soft fabric, the fantastic prints that were both retro and modern all at the same time and most of all completely fit flattering. My adoration grew later on when I got a bit more confused by tying my amazing new silk wrap blouse. Once I figured out how to tie it (I was a 10th grader, give a girl a break) I totally fell for the top. I was hook, line and sinker once I wore my cashmere wrap sweater, one of the few pieces in my wardrobe that I wear constantly.

Courtesy of the Diane von Furstenberg Studio 
A chord to my naïvety, I had no idea that Diane was an established brand, not only that but it was no wonder why her wraps were so amazing--she is the woman who invented the wrap dress. For real. 10th grade me had a lot to learn and learn I have.  Diane has become somewhat of a personal inspiration to me. Just a couple of week ago she was named the most powerful woman in fashion, topping Vogue Editrix Anna Wintour.

It was Wednesday of last week that I finally paid a visit to her lip printed flagship in the Meatpacking District of NYC. The store perfectly reflected the DVF brand. It was chic. It was minimalist. It was fabulous. It was built on a curve to resemble the iconic wrap dress that DVF is famous for (for those of you who don't know, Diane is literally the creator of the wrap dress). Sheer brilliance.

DVF.com
What is more brilliant is DVF's fall collection. The first thing I love for fall is sweater dresses. This is a must. So when I found Diane's Richley Dress in dove bloom warm glow I fell in love. The happy yellow contrasted against wintery black makes this fall to winter transitional piece perfect for the northern girl. Richley is mostly wool with a touch of rayon and is, of course, the typical DVF wrap shape we all know and love. It also hits at the knee, allowing it to be worn anytime, anywhere.

DVF.com
My second favorite dress for fall/winter from DVF is the Meena Dress. I am a sucker for a cutout with sheer underlay ( I wore a Kenneth Cole top with a deep-v underlay more times that I can count last winter). When I saw this dress I died. The Meena is 80% Triacetate, 20% Polyester and a bit shorter than the Richley. It has a deep rectangular cut in the front and a matching drop in the back, making it holiday party perfection. It is also black. To be cheesy, the Meena had me at hello and is begging to be brought home. This dress screams grown-up girl party dress. It's not frilly like the designs of many younger contemporary designers but is playful in a sophisticated way.

DVF.com
If dresses aren't your thing then look to the shoe department and fall head over heels for the Camilla bootie. The leather bootie with it's striking gold zipper detail is shocking and stunning in a subtle manner. It also boasts a high heel that you might just be able to walk in without dying. The bootie is both classic and very trendy. Booties are always big during the autumn months and gold is the biggest trend in jewelry right now after spikes.

I always consider shoes investments. If you treat them well, they will last close to forever. The Camilla also comes in a bold houndstooth.

DVF.com
If shoes and dresses are not your thing--then you are just odd. Just kidding. You probably just have a very editorial fashion sense. If this is true, then I dare you not to like a blue rabbit fur snood. For those who are perpetually cold (like me) then this random accessory--part hood, part scarf--is for you. Most people can only see this on the pages of a high fashion mag like Vogue but those of us with a more creative mind can see that this is begging to be worn on the streets. The exterior is 100% rabbit fur while the interior is wool, making this the softest and warmest accessory in the world. Snoods have been making a comeback for the past two years since local crafters starting selling them on Etsy. This snood goes far beyond Etsy and pushes the boundaries of the small town mindset. Being rabbit fur it is the most pricy item on my list, and so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment