Queen B, Long May She Reign

Now that Gossip Girl has ended *tear, tear* I can look upon my wardrobe and stand in awe of the influence of a single television show. Navy blue blazers with brooches, a bucket full of headbands, a drawer filled with ribbon, colorful tights and countless ensembles that channel none other than Queen B. There is one more influence, a personal favorite, the simplistic class of the bow.

Blair Waldorf became infamous for having a subtle bow complete any ensemble. While these bows often appeared above the waist - affixed to a headband or as a bow tie [seen right], she also wore them larger on the sides and backs of dresses and on her shoes. It is thanks to Blair that grown-up girls can bust out the bows and get to it.

For years I would wait for Monday nights with enthusiasm - anxiously waiting to see what Queen B would wear. Her outfits helped inspire creativity in my dressing and gave me a different way to look at simple pieces in my closet. Though she was timelessly modern, Blair's outfits often had vintage vibes and gave me ideas for the Tupperware containers full of my Noni's costume jewelry. While I don't recall Blair piling on broken watches as bangles or turning a necklace into a bracelet, her outfits sparked creative ways to copycat the gist.

Blair always seemed to be filled with grace and elegance, even when she was plotting how to get Little J off her ass or find a way to be with Chuck. I credit this to her excellent use of headbands. Once upon a time it was a social norm that little girls would wear headbands and unless you were attending a royal wedding, if you were an adult, you would not. 
The queen of Manhattan wore a headband where a royal would have a tiara and all of a sudden, that norm was gone. Headbands of all kinds have been having a major moment since Blair walked on screen 6 seasons ago. While she was ruling the halls of Constance, headbands began to rule the fashion world and are now commonplace on international runways and in my wardrobe.

I have been wearing headbands since I was a child - running around in head-to-toe pink with matching everything. Once I became fully immersed in the Gossip Girl world, a bucket of headbands suddenly appeared on my closet shelf.

Four years of high school served as a time to search. While most teenagers are "discovering themselves" and socializing - I was on the hunt for headbands that did not pinch (if you have ever worn one, you understand). Alas, I found some and now have a wish list consisting of bowed, plaid and feathered confections by Jennifer Ouelette.

As cheesy as it sounds, I learned a lot from GG and have wondered WWBWD on various occasions. Many would attribute B's success and lifestyle to her opulently wealthy parents and argue that what Miss Waldorf did for women was promote superficiality and an age old stereotype that a woman is nothing with her man.

On all these counts - I disagree.

Blair represented a strong, modern woman who proved that you can achieve your dreams and look smashing while doing so. Gossip Girl may be over, but Blair's escapades and style will live on forever.

XOXO...

All photos c/o The CW

No comments:

Post a Comment