What No One Should Wear

Once the weather gets warmer the sane tend to become unhinged and start pulling things out of their closets that should not ever be worn with what I see people pairing them with. As of recent, more than a few people have been directed to my blog through the google search question "Can I wear cowboy boots and yoga pants" or the much worse "Do sweatpants and cowboy boots go together?"

I have, in the past, expressed my delightful disdain for all of the above. I love pulling on a pair of Lululemon yoga pants as much as any other girl but the gym is where these overpriced workout pants should stay, worn with sneakers. Why someone would feel the need to tuck sweats into cowboy boots is completely beyond me (unless you are going to downward dog on a ranch which would be creepy to say the least).

Unfortunately this fashion faux pas is the least of my worries--so I give you a lovely little list of things that should never be worn in public and their appropriate alternatives.

Faux-pas #1: Pumped up kicks and Daisy Dukes

Believe it or not I have already seen this train wreck at least four times this month. There is a time and a place for denim shorts, cut-offs and other blue jean monstrosities--namely in the garden when you are planting or weeding during the months of May to August. In an ironic sense, you can even get away with the micro-sized trend made famous by "The Dukes of Hazard" at a country music concert. But pair with anything other than cowboy boots or sneakers, this is simply one huge fail.

The most tragic footwear to step into when wearing denim shortie-shorts would be pumps, of any kind. To be frank, this is the trashiest look a woman can wear and there is no reason for it to ever occur. If you want to dress up, then dress up. Take off the Daisy Dukes and put real pants on, preferably ones of at least knee length.

Faux-pas #2: Colored undergarments and white anything

Once upon an unfortunate time, it was semi-stylish to let your neon bra show through your top. Thankfully that time is over and undergarments should remain hidden. When I went to Rita's for free water ice on the first day of spring, my eyes were assaulted by the woman with the muffin top and neon green granny panties showing through her white stained sweat-shorts. This not-so-hot-mess visually assaulted me and Mary Bove as we ate our ice and custard on a beautiful spring afternoon. It took about ten minutes for the impact to sink in and when we got back into my car, the conversation was splendid.

Let me start with a simple question--why?

NO OUTFIT SHOULD EVER LEAVE YOU ASKING THIS QUESTION. If it does. Put it back into your closet.

I apologize for this ranting post but it needed to be said. A much more thought out post will be coming in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment