'That. Was. Amaze.'

Never ever would I have imagined that on February 15 at three pm I would be standing in awe watching what I can only describe as living art, as Michelle Smith's fall 2012 collection was strutted down the runway at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.

Days earlier I had been doing what I always do come fashion week, sitting at my laptop watching the shows stream live and discussing what I was witnessing with a friend. When I looked at the show schedule on the 12th I was surprised to see that my favorite designer, Michelle Smith, was showing the MillyNY fall 2012 collection at three pm on Wednesday, the day I would be in the NYC doing other work. Some may call this a coincidence but I call it fate. I didn't really think there was any chance of getting a ticket into the show but I figured that I would never know for sure unless I asked, so I tweeted away and four hours later was shocked to learn that Michelle had added me to the list, plus one.

By Tuesday afternoon I received my invite (seen right) and by five am on Wednesday (show day) I was dressed and ready to drive from Pennsylvania to Manhattan to attend my very first fashion show with my academic advisor and mentor, Melissa Sgroi.

Driving into NYC is always a treat, from trying to find a place to park to getting on the correct train (for the record, Melissa and I were put on the wrong train, multiple times and almost ended up in the Bronx instead of Lincoln Center). You can tell a naive New Yorker from a tourist easily in the subway system, the tourist is completely lost and the New Yorker does not care. Anywho, we almost missed the show. I kid you not when I say that as I called Pete (my boyfriend), while walking down a side street to get to the street Lincoln Center is on, to see if the show had started yet and was near a nervous breakdown.

How could a day so perfect be ruined by a train? Alas, the Milly show was running late and as we heard this news and broke into a brisk walk and as I rushed past the men in black at the entrance doors and was ushered to the check-in area I knew we had made it. Our tickets were priority standing and as we found our place in the crowd the lights dimmed and the music began.

Michelle Smith's fall 2012 collection, titled 'Future Perfect', featured a brilliant compilation of cobalt, fuchsia, chartreuse and teal juxtaposed against a base of black and bright white. The show started with the solid bold cobalt in cuts that can only be described as classically Milly. The show then shifted from futuristic to what I saw as 'An American Girl in Paris', combining the ladylike dressing that the brand is known for with couture shapes that are completely wearable in everyday life.

The cobalt faded into black for a few looks then brought the runway back to life with pops of color. It was the fuchsia, the chartreuse and the touches of leather that made this collection different than any other collection by Smith.  In an instance the stands went from admiring a white swing coat (bottom right, collage) to lusting after a bright pink party dress with black appliqué (upper left, collage).  I felt like a child as I stood in awe of the futuristic perfection that seemed to be floating down the runway

My awe was suddenly brought back to reality as Sgroi literally wowed at the dusty, embellished coat (left) and shortly after the matching skirt and top. The clothing was so, wonderfully different, something I always love to see. The hand-embelishment brought an entire other level of skill into the show. A level of skill that keeps fans of the growing brand coming back season after season for more and more.  As the music changed, I stood attentive to the runway as look after look came towards us and ideas of what the fall will hold came to fruition. I became a very happy girl with all of my favorite colors and shapes being shown in a more grown-up manner. In an instance, the atmosphere in Lincoln Center changed as a dress that was completely unlike anything Milly NY had previously showed came down the runway. The piece was a leather peplum, featuring a knee-length skirt and bustier top.

As the eleven minute long show came to a close Michelle Smith came to the stage to give attendees a wave (in Milly fall 2012, of course) and then it was over. I stood motionless for a moment, unsure of how to react. I had just witnessed my first ever fashion show at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. I was certain of two things. The first was that the Milly NY fall 2012 collection is completely fabulous. The second was that this may have been my first experience with the fashion industry, but it would not be my last.

A moment of impact had occurred and as Sgroi and I exited the tents, gushing about the show and the complete awesomeness that we had just witnessed, I knew that I would be back and that the fashion industry is the business for me.

For more of my coverage of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week and the Milly NY fall 2012 fashion show, check out my front page article 'Fantasy Captured at Fashion Week'. The piece features Melissa Sgroi's views on the show and MBFW written by yours truly, only on highlandernews.net.


No comments:

Post a Comment